Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Changing Default Font

What font are you trying to use as the new default? It sounds as though you
are trying to use a font which you don't have the correct permissions to use
or is corrupt.

Terry

"freded" wrote in message
Hi Stefan,

I have opened NORMAL.DOT as you described (it opened as a completely blank
page in Word 2003), pressed Ctrl+Q and then Ctrl+SpaceBar and the correct
formatting appeared in the toolbar. I then saved NORMAL.DOT, closed the
template and closed Word 2003.

On re-opening Word and selecting New Document, the correct formatting was
still shown but, as soon as I start typing, the font reverts again to
Times
New Roman...

What does X do next?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Open the Normal template (normal.dot) as a document. Select the blank
paragraph and press Ctrl+Q (to reset paragraph formatting) and
Ctrl+SpaceBar
(to reset font formatting). If you see the correct formatting at this
time,
save and close the template.

To open normal.dot as a document, you can search for it in Windows (be
sure
to search hidden files and folders). Right-click the file that you found,
and then choose Open from the context menu. See also the "To make other
changes" section in the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...alTemplate.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"freded" wrote in message
Hi Terry,

Yes, I did that: Format, Font, Default.

Word then asked if I wanted to "...change the default font to "XXXX"?
This
change will affect all new documents based on the NORMAL template."

But it doesn't! In any new document, as soon as I start typing, it
reverts
to Times New Roman, in spite of initially showing my desired font in
the
Styles and Formatting toolbar.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Did you use Format, Font and click on the DEFAULT button at the bottom
of
the dialog? When you then closed Word, did it not prompt you to save
changes
to the global template?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"freded" wrote in message
I have tried all the suggestions in your
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm,
but
still cannot stop MS Word 2003 from immediately reverting to Times
New
Roman
as soon as I start typing. Even if I select the typed text and try
reset
the font/size/bold/colour that I want, it immediately reverts as
soon
as I
type.

This behaviour seems to have started only since I had to completely
reinstall Office 2003.

I hope you have an answer for this as it's driving me crazy!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Format | Font: select the font you want and click Default... For
more,
see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Mahendra raj; "Coimbatore"
wrote in message
When Word is opened it shows the default font as Times New Roman.
Like Excel General tab there is an option for changing default
font.
But in Word I couldn't find such an option ?

Can you please tell me the option ?

Mahendra Raj, Coimbatore