Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Maria Maria is offline

Default How do I change my Normal template?

I've tried it numerous ways. I opened Normal.dot, saved it as Normal.dotx,
tried modifying the template and the modifications won't stay attached the
same way Word 2003 did. I have been spending my whole day trying to figure
this out. I'm seconds away from calling our head IT guys and telling them to
scrap this update. Oh if I had the power.

"grammatim" wrote:

Did you put it in your Word Startup folder _without_ changing its
name? That's what the MVPs told me to do last year, and lo and behold,
all my keyboard shortcut customizations were back!

On Jun 15, 10:24 am, MM wrote:
I absolutely agree. I'm having the same problem. I have extensively
modified my 2003 Normal.dot template. I tried renaming it and putting it
into 2007 and 2007 won't recognize it. I'm starting to panic about this
program. I have been using a different version of word since dos days (over
18 years) and this version is not intended to be used by "professionals", it
looks as if it has been created for 1st time users. Perhaps Microsoft should
have asked those of us who use it ALL the time to have some input into the
redesign.

Does anyone have any more information on loading older versions of
normal.dot into the new and "improved?" 2007?

I manage offices across Canada with over 4,000 staff members and I need to
fix this problem before I release the new templates. HELP!

"JGT" wrote:
OK now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file.. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?-