Jay Freedman

Cheryl York wrote:
We create large Word documents regularly. They usually have more
than 60-75 pages. When we try to number the pages (not using a
Footer), the numbers stop at page 39. Someone told us that we should
break the documents up into several smaller documents, but that is a
pain because these documents are legal briefs being filed in various
courts and they need to be all in one complete document.

Also, is there a way to use a Footer for page numbering without using
the 'page x of y' feature in the Footer? We use Footers for smaller
internal documents for the 'page x of y' feature, but in briefs being
filed in court documents, we must have a single arabic number for the
page number.

I can't imagine what could limit page numbers to 39. In any case, 75 pages
isn't large for a Word document -- documents of several hundred pages are
routine for many users, and with lots of memory (and some care) you can go
well over 1000.

You don't say what mechanism you're trying to use for page numbers. The
proper item is a PAGE field. You can insert one anywhere on a page -- or in
a footer -- by using the Insert Field dialog. If you have a header or
footer pane open, there's also a Page Number button on the Header/Footer
toolbar (a picture of a page with the # symbol on it) that inserts the same
field. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm for
illustrations.

It's best *not* to use the menu item Insert Page Number. The article
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...lyIndented.htm explains why.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman