Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Spell check -- text marked skip spelling and grammar check

David A. wrote:
I inherited a document and when I went to run spell check I get the
message that some text was skipped because it was marked, "Do not
check spelling or grammar". How do I turn this feature off so I can
check the full document?

It's an attribute of specific parts of the text, just like italic or bold.

Select the entire document (Ctrl+A), then go to Tools Language Set
Language and clear the check box for "Do not check spelling or grammar". (If
the box initially contains a green square, that means some of the text has
it turned on and some has it turned off. You want the box to be empty.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman