Shauna Kelly

Default Formatting In Use (Style and Formatting Task Pane) Slow + Incorrect?

Hi Paul

You're right. The "formatting in use" often seems to record formatting that
was once, at some earlier point, used in the document. But just to be sure
that you're fully scrubbing your document clean, don't forget to check all
the "other" places that strange formatting might be found: headers, footers,
footnotes, endnotes and comments.

I find that a straight operation to search for one style and replace with
another works well.

What you're seeing (replace 100, replace 40 etc) would be consistent for
searching for something like two spaces in a row, and replacing with one
space. If the search finds, say, 3 spaces in a row, and you're searching for
2, then it will take two runs to get 3 spaces down to 1. Could that explain
in some way what you're experiencing?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm tidying up a document of about 130 pages - no graphics but lots of
text and tables.

I have rationalised most of the document replacing the manual formats with
styles, using CTRL+Q and CTRL+Space, etc.

The Style and Formatting task pane is showing some left over manual
formatting, e.g. Table Text + Right and claiming just one or a few
instances. Attempting to select the instance does not work - Word will
pause for 30 seconds while it finishes analysing the document, but then
not move the cursor to the instance. I have also tried locating with Find
using the formatting options, but no joy.

Any suggestions for how I clear this?

On a related point, using Find and Replace to replace one style with
another is somewhat flakey (I resorted to this a few times when there were
a large number of instances of formatting I wanted to change and Word
could not seem to cope with selecting all instances) - you often have to
run it multiple times to pick up all instances (first time will replace
say 100, then 40, then 20, then 5, etc until you get to 0).

Thanks

Paul

--
Visit my website www.pdtech.co.uk for Access Developer Resources