Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "Lost" Word docs

If you search Word's Help for "AutoRecover" (the name of the feature you
were apparently depending on to save your work), you will find an article
"About document recovery" that explains exactly what Word will and will not
do. It includes this warning: "AutoRecover should not be used as a
substitute for manually saving or backing up your files." I think that's
pretty plain English, not Hindi.

Microsoft is *not* going to change the AutoRecover feature into an AutoSave
feature because that is not its purpose and not what most users would want.
If you want an add-in that *will* automatically save your document at
intervals, see http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

"lindalou" wrote in message
I wish to add that the two replies to my email simply confirm what I said:
Microsoft doesn't see any need to change anything. What Microsoft doesn't
seem to understand is that even if everything the program does works
logically if you follow it to a T, if the average user has problems with
it,
it needs to be improved.

If I spoke to you in flawless Hindi, it wouldn't matter what I said to you
if you didn't understand the language. Microsoft speaks in Hindi and
doesn't
provide a complete dictionary for translation.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Actually in full support of every point Suzanne makes, but in addition...

On 12/25/07 9:57 PM, in article ,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

you can't "totally" lose a document

Well, yes you _can_ - if the OS or the HD are problematic... In which
case
that's probably what caused Word " to shut down out of nowhere " in the
first place.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac