WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Backspace won't delete, text turns red and strikethrough

Hi there! It sounds like you might have accidentally turned on the "Track Changes" feature in Microsoft Word. This feature is often used when multiple people are collaborating on a document, as it allows you to see who made changes and when.

To turn off Track Changes, follow these steps:
  1. Look for the "Review" tab at the top of the screen.
  2. In the "Tracking" section, make sure that the "Track Changes" button is not highlighted. If it is, click on it to turn it off.
  3. If the "Track Changes" button is not highlighted, but you still see red text and strikethroughs when you try to delete text, look for the "Show Markup" button in the "Tracking" section. Click on it to see a drop-down menu of different types of markup.
  4. Make sure that "Insertions and Deletions" is not selected. If it is, click on it to turn it off.

If neither of these solutions work, it's possible that there is a problem with your specific document. You could try copying and pasting the text into a new document to see if that solves the problem.