V-ger

Default Tough template question open/new

(Word 2003 on Win XP) Hello! I have been trying to find a way to get my
shortcut menu to work in FileOpen. I am trying to open a NEW file from a
template as "Document #" as it has for years. Now, however, the default in
my shortcut menu is SELECT which only opens the template itself and choosing
anything from the shortcut menu gives me an error message that the dialog box
is open. The choices from the Open button do not include New...the closest
thing is open as read only - which is kind of a mess ("document.dot
(read-only)"). How can I
A.) open a new doc from a template that is not in my FileNewtemplates
folder (locations need to stay where they are), OR
B.) change the default on my shortcut menu to NEW so a double-click will
work, OR
C.) Get my shortcut menu to function as it should?
Please, any help you can give is appreciated, I have looked everywhere else
I know to look for an answer. Thanks!