Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Formatting Symbols

Format the text with the hidden font attribute then toggle the display of
hidden text.

You can toggle the display with a macro

Sub ShowHidden()
With ActiveWindow.View
.ShowHiddenText = Not .ShowHiddenText
.ShowAll = False
End With
End Sub

Or

Create and apply a unique character style (here 'MyStyle') to the text you
want to hide, then toggle the font colour in that style between white and
black. Colouting the font white retains the space the text occupies when
'hidden', whereas formatting it as hidden doesn't.

Sub ToggleWhite()
With ActiveDocument.Styles("MyStyle")
If .Font.Color = wdColorWhite Then
.Font.Color = wdColorBlack
Else
.Font.Color = wdColorWhite
End If
End With
End Sub

ff999 wrote:
I'm an infrequent user of Word (2002) and have a problem with
hiding/showing data in a table.

I'm hiding data in some of the table cells and when I click on the
"Show" symbol (which looks like a "pi" symbol), the data shows up but
so do some other formatting symbols. The symbols are round with 4
"posts" sticking out of them. Apparently the symbols are called
"cell markers" and appear in every cell, including blank ones.

I want to be able to hide and then show the hidden data in the cells
but not the cell markers. I've tried going in
"Tools-Options-View-Formatting Marks" and removing all check marks
but without success.

Any suggestions on how to show the hidden data but not the formatting
symbols?