Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobt bobt is offline

Default Start page numbering on fourth page as page 4

You were on the right track. Insert a CONTINUOUS section break at the END of
P3. Now, if you insert your page numbers now, they will show up in all of
the sections, so (and this is the tricky to explain part) you need to unlink
the footers of sections 1 and 2 (pages 1-3 and pages 4 on). So:

1. After adding the section break, choose VIEW | HEADER and FOOTER. You
should see the Header and Footer toolbar appear.

You'll likely end up on page 1 in the header.

2. Go to Page 4's footer. This will likely be called FOOTER - Section 2.
3. On the HEADER AND FOOTER toolbar, click on the LINK TO PREVIOUS button
to turn it OFF.

Now any thing you put into this footer will only appear on P4 and on.

Bob Tulk
MOUS (97/XP)

"Jeff" wrote:

My God is this confusing! I created a new section at the end of p. 3, but
that created a blank new p. 4 which I don't want.

This is going to be a Published on Demand brochure. The first three pages
(Cover/title page, inside cover page with copyright info, TOC) do not need to
be numbered. P. 4 is the first page that needs to be numbered, and it must
be numbered as p. 4 with the remaining pages numbered accordingly. I cannot
figure out how to do this, despite over an hour watching tutorials and
reading help files.

Thank you.