Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Replace cross-reference with text

Hmm, that's strange. I manually searched for, and erased, all cross-
references to Fig. 4. In place of each occurance, I typed in the
letters "Fig. 4". When I did a Print Preview, I got an "Error!
Reference source not found." after each occurance of my manually typed
"Fig. 4". It turns out that there is a zero-width cross-reference
that I did not manage to erase.

I did Alt-F9 to reveal all codes, and indeed, the cross reference was
revealed as { REF_Ref264639379 \h }. It's actually hard to select
that string with the mouse for copying, as the selection often expands
automatically to include the braces. In that case, Word thinks you're
trying to copy the entire field, and pasting into text-only fields
(e.g. Search window, or Notebook) pastes nothing. However, I can use
the cursor keys to select all field-code text other than the braces
and copy/paste that into the Search window.

Thanks, Suzanne.

On Aug 9, 9:52*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
The cross-reference will be a REF field; if you display field codes (Alt+F9)
, you'll see something such as { REF _Ref269150370 }. Once you've replaced
the cross-reference with plain text, you will not see this field.

"Paul" wrote in message

I have cross-references to figures throughout my document. *I will be
submitting this to a conference with a page limit, but I have
requested an additional page for figure 4 (say) so that it can be
shown in large scale at the end of the document. *To make it easy for
the editors, I have supplied a small scale version of figure 4 in the
body of the text, and a large scale version at the end -- they can
delete the large one if they don't want to grant me the extra page.
However, this means I don't know which figure 4 will be retained, so I
should not be cross-referencing the figure labels of either versions
of figure 4. *Therefore, I want to search for all occurences of "Fig.
4" (which are all cross-references to the smaller version of figure 4)
and replace the cross-reference with the *text* "Fig. 4" i.e. not a
cross-reference. *When I try to use Word's Search-and-Replace to do
this, it's hard to tell whether anything changed because the visible
text remains unchanged. *After do the replacement of all instances
(one at a time), I checked and found that all occurrences of "Fig. 4"
are still cross-references. *Is there a way to force the replacement?
I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP.- Hide quoted text -