Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Macros Disabled

I think you have misunderstood. Here's how it works:

1. You set the Security setting to Medium. This doesn't automatically enable
macros; it gives you a choice. You'll still get a message box, but instead
of saying that macros have been disabled, it will say that there are macros
and give you the choice of enabling or disabling them. This will apply to
documents that you open that may contain macros.

2. The message you're getting, however, is not from a document. Most likely
it is from an add-in (the message probably tells you what it is). You can
see some of the add-ins that are installed in Word by looking at the list in
the Tools | Templates and Add-ins dialog. Some add-ins (COM add-ins) are not
listed here; you can learn about those with another tool (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm).

3. Assuming that the add-ins are ones you want, and also to be able to use
the Microsoft Wizards that ship with Word, you need to "trust" certain
templates and add-ins. To do that, you check the box for "Trust all
installed templates and add-ins" on the Trusted Sources tab of Tools | Macro
| Security.

4. Trusting installed add-ins will take care of templates in your user
templates folder and the workgroup templates folder (if any), as well as
add-ins in Word's Startup folder. Unfortunately, this trust does not extend
to the Office Startup folder, so you may still get a message about add-ins
that load from there, but the message will tell you what the add-in is and
allow you to check a box to trust add-ins from that provider (Adobe, for
example, if you have Adobe Acrobat). Then you won't get a message from that
any more, either.

"Bill Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:31:00 -0500, Greg Maxey wrote:

Keep looking if you want. I can certainly be wroing, but I think that

you
are going to find that your options are to set the security level to

medium
and be rid of the message or leave it as is and deal with the message.

Setting it to meduim does not mean that you have to enable any macros.

It
just means that if you have Add-ins (e.g., Adobe, etc.) (have you

checked?)
that they will run. If you recieve a document with macros (the good

kind or
the bad) you will get the warning then with the option to let it run or

not.

Thanks Greg. I guess I'm just crumudgeonly about security. I don't much
like being forced to take it on faith that if I enable macros they really
won't run anyhow. That there are no security bugs in this one product.

It mystifies me why Microsoft would design in the high security levels,

and
then make it impossible to use them. What could they possibly have been
thinking? Oops - maybe that's the problem.

Thanks.

Bill