Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

Default Macros Disabled

Hi Bill,

Word, out of the box, does not install any macros which try to run
automatically.

However Word does not uninstall macros which you may already have had on
your machine. What I suspect you have stumbled over is Word's improved
security now preventing something which always used to happen about which
you were blissfully unaware.

I would have to agre with you that the message would be a great deal more
helpful if it told you which project the macros were disabled in.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Bill Martin" wrote in message
. 16...
Actually, I think you may have misunderstood. I don't *want* any macros,
any add-ins, or anything else beyond a blank sheet I can type into. And
thus I shouldn't need to enable things I don't want in the first place -
I just simply want to use the highest security level that Microsoft
designed into Word. I *do* use add-ins and VBA macros heavily in Excel,
but I presume that does not mean that I have to enable them in Word?

My first note provided the text of the message. Here it is again in its
entirety: "The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the
online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to
enable macros."

Following up on some of your other suggestions (and by clicking on Tools
MacroMacros) I do find that there are 3 macros installed by Word
initially out of the box. If this were Excel I could then delete the
macros from that panel or edit them and delete their code. From Word
however the "Delete" button is grayed out and it's impossible to kill the
macros from within Word. (Adding insult to injury, the Description box
at the bottom says that I created the macros when plainly I did not.)

Trolling through my directory listings I finally found the file which was
creating the add-in and deleted it. This is a new subdirectory, created
by Office, which chose to set up Word so that I couldn't use the highest
security level designed in. So 5 hours later, and with your assistance,
I finally have Word working. Not a good out-of-the-box experience.

Your note was quite helpful and I thank you for it. Please don't feel
that my pique with Microsoft in any way reflects on your efforts here. I
appreciate the help.

Bill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

I think you have misunderstood. Here's how it works:

1. You set the Security setting to Medium. This doesn't automatically
enable macros; it gives you a choice. You'll still get a message box,
but instead of saying that macros have been disabled, it will say that
there are macros and give you the choice of enabling or disabling
them. This will apply to documents that you open that may contain
macros.

2. The message you're getting, however, is not from a document. Most
likely it is from an add-in (the message probably tells you what it
is). You can see some of the add-ins that are installed in Word by
looking at the list in the Tools | Templates and Add-ins dialog. Some
add-ins (COM add-ins) are not listed here; you can learn about those
with another tool (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm).

3. Assuming that the add-ins are ones you want, and also to be able to
use the Microsoft Wizards that ship with Word, you need to "trust"
certain templates and add-ins. To do that, you check the box for
"Trust all installed templates and add-ins" on the Trusted Sources tab
of Tools | Macro
| Security.

4. Trusting installed add-ins will take care of templates in your user
templates folder and the workgroup templates folder (if any), as well
as add-ins in Word's Startup folder. Unfortunately, this trust does
not extend to the Office Startup folder, so you may still get a
message about add-ins that load from there, but the message will tell
you what the add-in is and allow you to check a box to trust add-ins
from that provider (Adobe, for example, if you have Adobe Acrobat).
Then you won't get a message from that any more, either.