Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Eliminate line numbers on blank lines?

Okay, here it is in easy steps:

1. Press Ctrl+* or click on the button that has a paragraph mark (¶) on it
to display nonprinting characters. You will see a paragraph mark (¶) at the
end of every paragraph of text.

2. Wherever you see a paragraph mark that doesn't have any text, press
Backspace or select it and press Delete.

3. In the next paragraph of text, press Ctrl+0 (zero). This will add 12
points of Space Before to your paragraph, which will be the equivalent of
the empty paragraph you just deleted.

4. Alternatively, you can go to the Paragraph dialog (by selecting Paragraph
on the Format menu, or by right-clicking and choosing Paragraph). In that
dialog, you will see a number of settings. Toward the bottom of the left
side is one labeled Spacing, with two spin boxes labeled Before and After.
If you click the up arrow in the Before box twice, you'll get 12 points
Space Before (the same thing you did with Ctrl+0). Or you can add Space
After, or both.

For reference, there are 72 points in an inch, so 12 points equals 1/6", the
same as a line space on a typewriter (which types 6 lines per inch).

"TDMedia" wrote in message
ups.com...
You need to remove the empty paragraphs and add Format | Paragraph to

add space using Space Before/After.

Do you understand that what you've written is complete goobledeegook to
someone with no clue? I know it makes sense to you and it must be
totally frustrating that I don't get it, but the sentence above may as
well have been written in Greek. "Format / Paragraph" and "Space
Before/After" taken out of whatever context they belong in mean
absolutely nothing to me.

Sorry. I'll just keep using my "undisciplined" formatting and erase
the numbers where I don't want 'em!