Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Office 2007

Master Document has not changed.
If you install the compatibility pack you should have Save As Word 2007
Document in the Save As dialog.

grammatim wrote:
Does that suggest that Master Document in 2003 might work better on
the new format? Though, I installed the Compatibility Pack and don't
see any change at all in Word -- .docx didn't suddenly appear in the
Save As menu, for instance. I suppose I have to wait until someone
sends me a .docx file to see if it will open.

On Jan 20, 8:38 am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
Hi Phil,

There wasn't any specific focused work on the Master Documents area
(originally added to match one in WordPerfect g). Some folks have
reported it being more stable than previously, which may be from the
change to the new file formats and to some work on stability in
numbering and styles.

You can reduce the 'between versions' setup run behavior with the
NoReReg registry key setting covered in the 'Multiple versions of
Word' section ofhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091

==============
"Phil" wrote in
re Graham Mayor below

Thanks for all that. I agree with every word you say - Outlook2007 is
OK, an improvement I feel, but everything else is a disaster. I've
used WORD for at least 10 years, have written 2 books and god knows
how much else with it - thoroughly conversant with contents lists,
styles, change tracking, footnotes/endnotes, multi-section documents,
etc. Now its taking me weeks to get familiar with all this in 2007
and in every case so far, once i've found how to do it, I find it
harder and more awkward than it used to be. One major drawback in
2003 - very large documents - the 'Master Document' facility was a
well
known shambles so I assumed it would be fixed. Has it? Not as far as
can see.

I agree with Graham that one just has to keep both versions
available. Though I note that if I use WORD2003, next time I load
WORD2007 there's a 2 minute delay while something gets reconfigured.
Any way to stop that?