Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Default Track Changes: date/time stamp

I've just tried this in the Word 2007 beta version, and it does work,
although the steps are more than a little unintuitive...

The former File menu now includes a "Finish" submenu, on which one of
the items is the Document Inspector. Click the Inspect button on this
dialog, and it reports all the personally identifiable data in the
document and lets you click a Delete button for each category. You
need to click Delete for the "Document Properties and Personal
Information" category, but not for "Comments, Revisions, Version, and
Annotations". (The latter is equivalent to accepting all tracked
changes.) Then click Close.

At this point, the tracked changes in the document still display name
and timestamp. The final step is to save the document to a new name.
That file contains the changes, attributed to Author and without
timestamps. The original file still has both.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:44:01 -0700, redpencilgirl
wrote:

Thanks! I look forward to hearing the answer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If Shauna says it, it's gospel (for Word 2003). I have no knowledge of how
it works in Word 2007, but I'm betting Shauna does; I'll copy this message
to her.

"redpencilgirl" wrote in message
Hi, Suzanne --

I missed this reply when I answered your comment to my suggestion -- sorry
about that! You probably do have a point that the clients don't care all
that much; maybe I'm being unnecessarily paranoid.

That said, I've still been searching for information, and just now I found

web page
(http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html)

with
this question and answer:

Q: I want to send my document outside the company. I want to leave tracked
changes in the document, but I don't want anyone to see who made the

tracked
changes or when they were made. How do I do that?

Before Word 2003, you can't. The author (or reviewer) information and the
date information are permanently attached to the revision when the

revision
was tracked. You can't change them, even in macro code.
In Word 2003, Tools Options Security. Tick the box "Remove personal
information from file properties on save." In spite of the name, this does
more than just remove information in the file properties. If this box is
ticked, Word removes the name of the author of a tracked change, and it
removes the date and time that the change was made when you save your
document. But it leaves the tracked change itself. All tracked changes and
comments will be now attributed to an anonymous "Author".

Do you know if that description is true of Word 2003 and beyond? If so,

it
will influence my decision on future upgrades...

Thanks!