Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Jack,

To add to the reply from lostinspace,
without knowing the content of the Word .doc file,
a snippet of the HTML that would show the 'mystery'
character and the version of Word you're using it's
not easy to have an idea on where to focus attention.

If you're using the Office 2000 HTML filter, you'll
usually find that using the standalone MSFilter.exe
tool (Start=Programs=Microsoft Office Tools as well)
will give you more options for stripping out the information
than if you're using File=Export to HTML from inside of
Word.

This article has additional information on what the filter
can remove.

========
"jack w. bonney vancouver" wrote in message
greetings from canada!!

i am using ms-word to transform/create a word-mode file into an html-mode
file (about a manual of about 350+ pages)..... (using the "save as .html"
function).

background to the application: the html file has been run through the html
filter to eliminate the ms-word superflous coding that would normally enable
"full circle" editing using ms-word....

we do not need that ms-word coding as the html file will not be going back
to ms-word - and although there maybe some minor editing by ms-frontpage, the
file will then be passed onward to a custom program that automatically
generates thousands of hyperlinks as well as a permuted cross-reference from
the content itself....

my problem: regardless of whether the html filter is used or not, the html
output from ms-word contains a small flaw: on some blank lines throughout
the html-mode file, there is a "_" (i.e. looks like an "underscore"
character) in column 1 --

my request for assistance: i would like to know how to completely prevent
this character from ever occurring so that we might alter our word processing
text entry rules to avoid its presence in the html-mode file....

any suggestions will be very much appreciated....

jack bonney
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx