Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Default If not Master Document, then what?

Suzanne:

I have experimented with this field and find that the resulting formatting
is inconsistent at best. For example, if I'm inserting a file that begins
with Heading 1 style followed by a body style, sometimes the files are
inserted with the body style being replaced with the Heading 1 style or vice
versa. It's all very inconsistent and erratic.

Are there any "best practices" to follow when using this field to avoid the
resulting unformatting of the final document?

Thanks for your help.

"Deb" wrote:

Interesting. I have never used that field before. In experimenting with it,
I keep getting the error: Error! Not a Valid Filename. The file will always
be in the same directory as the file in which the FIELD will reside, so I am
just entering the filename as filename.doc.

Now how does this differ from Master Document? The Help feature indicates
you can also push updates back to the source file by using the Ctrl + Shift +
F7 keystroke.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Hasn't IncludeText already been suggested?

"Deb" wrote in message
But what about re-use? The content of the large document is really

smaller
documents that needs to be re-used across multiple large documents.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Just create a single large document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Deb" wrote in message
So, I concede that the Master Document feature is a risk. So, what is

the
alternative to create a large document based on many small documents?