Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default TOC and Index Troubles

There should not be separate entries for the artists, just the songs as
subentries of the artists. If you have entered each song as { XE
Artist:Song }, you should be getting an index that looks like this:

Artist A
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3

Artist B
Song 1
Song 2

Artist C
Song 1
Song 2
Song 3
Song 4

To get the space between artists, add some Spacing Before to the Index 1
styles.

"Armand" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks very much, Suzanne. I now can continue inserting my XE fields
for the songs (Index2) and the artists (Index1) - only about 300 to go!
.

I am getting a format that looks like this:
INDEX1
INDEX2
INDEX2
INDEX2
INDEX1
INDEX2
INDEX1
INDEX2
INDEX2

Is there a way to change the layout/formatting of the index? Ideally,
I'd like to have something that makes it a little easier to distinguish
to the songs (Index2) that go with each artist (Index1). Something
like this:
INDEX1 : INDEX2
INDEX2
INDEX2

INDEX1: INDEX2

INDEX1: INDEX2
INDEX2

I don't see any way to make this formatting.

Thanks again!

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You need to create an index, and for this you need to insert XE fields.

See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/Createindex.htm. Note that the

artist
will be the main index entry (best to include the names last name first,
e.g. "Brooks, Garth"), and the song titles will be subentries.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Hurger" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am having trouble creating an "index" for a document I've put
together. I've compiled some guitar music (chords) into a large
document and have successfully created a TOC using the song titles. I
have the "song title" as the first-level heading and the "artist" as a
second-level heading, but my TOC only uses the song title. The songs
(and the resulting TOC) are in alphabetical order. What I'd like to

do
is create a second TOC (or and index?) that gives a list of the

artists
and a sub-list of their particular songs (again, in alphabetical
order).

Example:
TOC1:
Country Roads
Friends in Low Places
Leaving on a Jet Plane
The Dance

TOC2:
Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places
(Garth Brooks) - The Dance
John Denver - Country Roads
(John Denver) - Leaving on a Jet Plane

I don't want the page numbers - just the listing. Is this possible?

Thanks.