Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Armand Armand is offline

Default TOC and Index Troubles

I'm finding Word has a mind of it's own when it comes to section
breaks! I add a Section Break (Next Page) and then make the index.
Word seemed to add a Section Break (Continuous) and then I get strange
page numbering. It could easily be that I had a stray break in there.
Occasionally, I'd redefine the index and it would wipe out what I had
to recreate it - then all the section breaks were gone, so were my
headers and footers for the first 480 pages of the document!

The section breaks are tied to the header and footers as I'm sure you
are aware (and it makes a little sense that they are). I made sure I
had no header/footer for the index page (and beyond) that were marked
"same as previous". I wiped out the index completely and all of the
section breaks after my last song.

Then, I created a new, next-page section break and created a blank
page. Another next-page section break followed and then I attempted to
recreate the index. The first page of the index showed Page ii of i and
the second page showed Page i of ii and the third page showed Page ii
of ii. Anyway, I got frustrated with it and deleted the page
references. Someday I may return to it, but for now, I'm just leaving
the index without page numbers.

You mention "unlink"ing the index -- is it supposed to linked (like the
TOC with a CTRL-click)? I don't seem to have that and haven't been
able to locate a checkbox to make links.

Thanks,
Armand

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no "Line and Page Breaks" setting you can use to
keep the subentries together (this is when it would *really* be handy to
have a "Keep with previous" option); the best you can do is lock or unlink
the index and format it manually; naturally, you don't want to do this till
editing is complete.

I don't understand your description of the page number issue unless you are
using a SectionPages field for the Y value and have a section break between
pages ii and iii.