Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default mail merging formatted content

For some basic information on merging - see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm Labels are
arguably the most complex merges, but all merges are essentially similar.

Doug is talking about setting the merge document type to Directory with your
merge fields in the columns of a single row table. Merging such a document
will produce a table, similar to that shown in
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

How easy it will be to create the type of directory you want will be largely
determined by the number of fields you have in your Excel file to depict the
addresses. You need a column there for each line of the address, whether or
not it has content.

If you set up your merge document as having two columns, and set the
document type to directory. Insert the fields for a single entry at the top
of the first column then merge to a new document. That document will have
all the addresses in two columns. You can now add supplementary information
to produce the document you intend.

What fields do you have in your Excel table that you are using for a data
source?

donna wrote:
Thanks Doug. I've never used a tqable before. How do I get the
fields into the table? I am getting my data from an Excel file.
This is all foreign to me so I need basic instructions.

Also, in the future, how do I start a new thread. I think I should
have done that for my question, but I didn't know how.
Donna

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Put the merge fields in the cells of a one row table with nothing
else in the main document. Then when you execute the merge to a new
document you will get the layout that you want.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"donna" wrote in message
I am trying to learn how to use this. How do I start a new
thread? I have
a question about mail merge, but I don't even know how to start a
thread in
order to ask it. Can you please tell me how to start a new thread.

My question about mail merge is: I writing a directory on names an
address
with two columns per page. I want the name to be followed by the
address, but some adresses have two line to them. Therefore the
names don't alsways
match up on both columns. I think I need it to add an extra blank
line for
the names that have one address line. How do I do that?

"raj" wrote:

I am using Outlook 2000 SR1 and Word 2000 SR1.

I have an email message that I need to send to everyone in my
contacts folder. So I tried Mail Merge. The body of my
message contains some formatted text and also few images. I
changed my Outlook's Mail Format as HTML and MSWord as my email
editor. When I send the messages through mail merge, the
receiver's mail is in plain text. I also tried "Includepicture"
field for images. Still don't work with mail merge.

But, when I send a mail individually to them, the receiver
receives the mail in HTML format.

I also checked the recipient's property "Send email using plain
text only" and it is checked OFF.

Can some one please suggest me how to mail merge the formatted
contents?