Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How do I change my Normal template?

There should only be one normal.dotm file (the others could be links?) and
it will be in the folder defined at Word Options Advanced File Locations
User Templates. If there really are more than one normal template, you

might investigate why the rest are present and if they are not required by
other users, remove them.

With the template open for editing, you can edit the normal style to remove
the spacing (and it might be a plan to edit the no spacing style and add the
spacing - then rename it (say) Spaced Normal.)

Barb Meek wrote:
I'm very frustrated trying to change my normal.dotm in Word 2007.
First of all, the directions for even locating it are inaccurate in
Microsoft's help center. But...I searched and think I found the
document anyway. For some reason, the "normal" style defaults to "10
pt after paragraph" and won't accept my change to delete that. Or
maybe I'm looking at the wrong normal.dotm file. There seem to be
several.

Any way I can find the real base template for my blank documents and
get it to stop doing that?

Any help is appreciated -- Barb

"Sandhill54" wrote:

How embarrassing; thanks for telling me. Shows how brain-dead I was
after upgrading my Office XP to 2007, huh?

I was searching for help on changing the normal template in Word
2007 to fit my needs, and ended up there. I was so relieved to see
that I might have a bit of knowledge to contribute, I just answered
it.

Next time I try to be helpful, I'll check the date.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Note that you have replied to a message that is three years old.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sandhill54" wrote:

I've not read the other posts, so I'm not sure what they said. I
just today upgraded to Office 2007 (that's why I was here looking
for answers to something else).

When I had Word 2002, this is how I adjusted the normal.dot. I'll
see if I remember it without being able to see it.

In Word, click File, Open, then click on the bottom window to
select "template .dot" or something like that. It should
automatically take you to the place Office keeps the templates.

In my Office 2002, templates were in my user account (the name
that I clicked on to start Windows), then Applications (or
something like that), Microsoft, Templates. Or, in Windows
Explorer or My Computer, do a search on "normal.dot". It will
show you where the normal.dot is kept. Write down the path and
then you can navigate to it in Word.

Open normal.dot, and make your changes. Save it and then close
it. That should fix it.

Good luck!

"renee1021" wrote:

I have Microsoft Word 2002 and my Normal template was somehow
changed so that it now has text in it. I've read the previous
posts about this, and none of them has worked. Does anyone know
how to change the Normal template so that it comes up blank?