Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

Default How do I change my Normal template?

A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open the styles dialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18*am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at the Styles panel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.

On Sep 10, 9:41*am, vhg wrote:

Hi all,
Ok, I've been struggling with the same issue in trying to change the default
document line spacing for Word 2007 & I believe I may have figured something
out - no thanks to microsoft, just trial & error. *If anyone is interested
try the following:

Open a new document.
From the "Home" tab go over to "Styles" & click on the down arrow at the
bottom right corner of that "Styles" box. *
You should see a list of Styles.
If you run your cursor over the "Normal" style you should see a drop down
arrow, click this.
From the next menu, click Modify.
In the next dialogue box make all the changes you'd like to have to your
default document - line spacing, fonts, (you can even change paragraph
settings), etc. *
Before clicking ok, make sure you select "New Documents Based On This
Template".
Then click ok.
From there, just save this document & close it.
When you create a new document, it should have the new settings saved for
your default document.... it worked for me anyway. *
Good luck!!

"busedteach" wrote:
I agree. *Why on earth would they change the default document to space 1.15
anyway. *No one types documents with that kind of spacing. *I am a teacher
and it is annoying to have to explain to each student how to change their
document every time they open it up. *I've had no luck yet figuring out how
to change the templete. Wasting my valuable time I need to planning for class!

"Doug" wrote:

If Microsoft didn't keep changing things around and forcing us to buy their
new products, they wouldn't have enough business. *This is madenning. *They
should write a book on how to make a simple task a major pain-in-the-ass,
because this used to be simple. *What a waste of time!

"JGT" wrote:

OK *now I'm totally confused after reading all the previous post. Recently I
upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (wow what a pain-in-the-ass change)
and cannot easily find stuff (sorry but IMHO the ribbon is a GIANT step
backwards). I get so tired of clicking on things only to discover what I'm
looking for is not there. In office 2003 I made extensive modifications to
the normal.dot file and now I want these changes in my normal.dotm file. In
2003 I could open a document and merge the template of the open document into
my normal template. Is this possible in 2007? If so how?-