Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I change my Normal template?

Actually, if you first apply direct formatting to text, typing a style name
and pressing Enter will incorporate that formatting into the style you are
creating.

Of course, which method you prefer is largely a matter of taste.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
I tried typing a new style name. It created it and applied it to the
paragraph the cursor was in -- but the method doesn't save any
keystrokes over the New Style button on Styles & Formatting, because
you have to choose Modify in order to make it into a different style.

On Sep 14, 8:05 am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
A good thing about the Apply Styles pane is that you can *type* a style
name; Word will autocomplete it and you can then press Enter to apply it.

Note that if you type a nonexisting style name, pressing Enter will create
such a style (as a paragraph style).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
I just remembered to check this out -- I don't see the use of the
Apply Styles panel: it seems that it does (some of) the same things as
the Styles and Formatting panel, but with one more click (on the
dropdown in order to select the style you want).

On Sep 10, 1:59 pm, "Stefan Blom"

wrote:
But note that theApplyStylespane (Ctrl+Shift+S) doesn't have all the
options of theStylespane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in
?! In all these years, no one has mentioned that. I've been using the
three buttons since someone mentioned it here. I see from my Word-
generated Keyboard Shortcuts list printed 9/7/05 that the two-button
and not the three-button version is listed.

On Sep 10, 10:26 am, Cheryl Flanders
wrote:

A quicker way is Ctrl + Shift + S to open thestylesdialog box. No
need for the Alt key.

Cheryl

On Sep 10, 7:18 am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

That's the same procedure for modifying a style as in Word2003. A
quicker way to get at theStylespanel is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S.--