Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Default nomal style show up in Document Map

As I stated earlier, the behavior I have recounted happens even when the two
AutoFormat As You Type options you cited have been cleared.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is actually what I would expect, especially if you don't have "Define
styles based on your formatting" and automatic headings disabled in
AutoFormat As You Type. If you apply Heading 1 style explicitly, then
pressing Enter at the end of the H1 paragraph will (by default) give you a
paragraph in Normal style. Pressing Enter at the beginning of H1 will give
you another H1. All of this is by design.

"Aeneas" wrote in message
Hi Daiya:

You sound a bit incredulous -- so was I after years of using the Document
Map with no problems but continually reading comments that it was to be
avoided.

Open a new document.
Type "One" or any 2 or 3 word phrase
Press ENTER
type fill in text (say, =rand(2,2)) and press ENTER
(whether the Document Map is displayed or not at this point is irrelevant)
Save the document
Open it
Display Document Map
Note that "One" is included in the Document Map and has outline level 1
applied.

To "propagate" the problem:
Move the IP right before the paragraph mark in the 1st paragraph ("One")
Press ENTER
Type anything (the length is irrelevant at this point)
Note the appearance of each paragraph in which you have just entered text
in
the Document Map

I tried it in Word 2003 and got the same results. Please let me know if
your
experience is different

Thanks for all your help through the years, especially re long docs, which
work with every day.

Aeneas
"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Yeah, I couldn't tell either, he talked about carrying a format with
enter--but he recommended applying H1 or H2 as a prevention fix, and his
analysis said the Doc Map applies outline levels *if* it can't find
any. That was certainly not the case when I tested a while back, but it
might be now.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Using styles will certainly prevent the direct outline level formatting
be transferred to new paragraphs as you press Enter (which will happen
with
direct formatting). I can't tell for certain (for obvious reasons), but
think that's what Aeneas was referring to.