Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
snulton snulton is offline

Default How do I set up automatically suceeding numbers in Word?

I hope that I didn't upset you with my insessent questions, but I am going
to repost this:

I am probably beginning to sound really stupid. So let me see if I have it
from the beginning.

First I open a template (.dot) which automatically creates a document (.doc)
that has a name "Document* (* = the number of the document opened and saved)
then in that document I go to File New which opens a task pane that I then
click on the Link for "On my Computer", I then receive a new Template (.dot)
named "path0*****.dot, I then set my bookmark where I want the sequential
numbers and then Go to Tools Macro Macros and am given a choice in the
window that opens a blank space for Macro name, a bigger area that has
AutoExec.MAIN, AutoExit.MAIN, and RunFineReader, with active buttons
"Create", "Organizer", and "Close".

Logic tells me that I would then "Create" AutoNew. This then opens Microsoft
Visual Basic which has a panel that has a choice of "FineReader6SprintTools",
"Normal", "Project (Document 1)" (with no modules), "TemplateProject (Live
Meeting Toolbar Customizations)" and finally "TemplateProject (SerRepCon)"
[the name of the original template], both the "Project (Document 1)" and the
"TemplateProject (SerRepCon)" have "ThisDocument" when opening "Microsoft
Word Objects". Which one do I use?

The code window that opens caries the header of whichever main catagory is
highlighted. This is the window that I put the AutoNew language.

After this is done I would then click on the Save icon on the toolbar in
Microsoft Visual Basic and shut window. then I would go to File SaveAs and
name the document the same as the name used in the Macro before "sequence".

Is this correct? Inf not Please correct within the messege.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

snulton wrote:
I have a template that has a space for a number. I want each
successive document opened using that template to have a new number
that is the next number in sucession, i.e. - after opening 20071001,
the next time that I access that template should open 2001002.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/NumberDocs.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman