Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default replacing blocked text

It's been awhile since I looked into the zoom and view issue but IIRC
it's similar to how the Show white space option is handled, a per
window, per document, per user setting. I do know it only started
happening with either Word 2002 or 2003 when Microsoft changed the
behavior as an effort to appease those who wanted to maintain their
zoom and view setting.

I think there are too many variables so we end up with fickle behavior
and nothing that ends up being reliable. In this situation, I do agree
that if you want to control it then you need to use a macro. But like
with the missing ruler, there is a reasonable explanation for the
behavior. ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
It's not just the ruler, though, but unexplained changes in Zoom
ratio, for
example. In theory, a document is supposed to open in the same view
and at
the same Zoom in which it is saved. Usually they do. But why do they
occasionally not? Or why does Word sometimes open in Print Layout
view at
105% even though I have Document1 in Normal view at 100% and keep it
open
all day, so that it is the last document I close when I shut down?

I have long maintained that these issues were SDI-related, that Word
seems
to retain the settings of the previous window that was opened. What
seems to
(sort of) confirm this hunch is the behavior of white space. Given
that the
"White space between pages" box is on the View menu along with many
other
settings that are application-wide (not document-specific), you
would expect
a checked or unchecked box there to be reflected in every open
document. But
this actually varies by window, as explained in “WD2002: Rules for
‘Hide
white space between pages’” at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297564. My
observation is that the display of field codes follows similar
rules.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com wrote in message
I'm with Beth on this one and tend not to accept corruption as an
explanation just because the real cause is unknown. Random changes
to the
registry key seems so unlikely an explanation of anything. A
specific
problem with the ruler, which I know you've mentioned before and
which is
not experienced by everyone, no matter what the cause, isn't
random -
although it may be a bug, perhaps triggered by some combination of
circumstance peculiar to you.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, I'd love to know which add-in is monkeying with my ruler
display.

want it ON, always, in every document, all the time, but I can
have it

on
in
one session and it's off in the next, on in the current document
and off
in
the next one I open (in a given session), no matter how many
times I

save
and close documents (and Word) with the ruler displayed. My
add-ins a

DataPrompter.dot
TaskPaneController.dot
PDFMaker.dot

Also, another slight mystery: ever since I added a Ruler button
to my
Standard toolbar (to facilitate turning the blamed thing on), the

Acrobat
toolbar, which I had to the right of it, is not displayed at
startup

even
though there's still room for it (barely). Even when I turn it on
in a
given
session and have it displayed when I quit Word, it isn't there
the next
time. Not a real issue, since I can easily display it when I need
it
(which
is fairly infrequently)--just one more mystery (and really
surprising
given
the usual persistence of that particular toolbar).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I know we've been down this road before, Graham, but I still do
not
concur with a minor bug that randomly changes the Registry. If
it were
then the Registry key would be rebuilt which would reset it to
the
defaults and "Typing replaces selection" is not a default
setting.

I've investigated similar situations, "unexplained changes to
user
preferences", and each and every time we've found the cause. The
gremlin has always been a third-party add-in or a
document/template
that contains a macro that is responsible for this type of
behavior.
Someone recorded a macro to make a change to Tools/Options and
not
edit their macro to remove the options that do not apply and the
macro
is in an add-in or template. Even some of the Microsoft
templates
change user preferences so it's not uncommon. I'll bet if we
polled
everyone who has encounter this situation and had them list
every
add-in they have installed or template they used we'd find the
culprit.

Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests
for

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word 2003 has a minor bug that causes random changes to the
registry
key that holds the settings. If it becomes a problem you will
need a
macro solution to fix it.

Mrs Tabs wrote:
Thank you Graham - the same thing happened to me and your
answer
has
solved the problem. But does anyone know why does the
programme
suddenly change like this of its own accord?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Check tools options edit typing replaces selection.

greenie wrote:
I used to be able to block text and type a letter which
would
replace the entire text. Now, when I block the text and
type a
letter, the letter is just added at the end of the blocked
text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace"
and
the
block text would be erased. Now when I block text and
press
"backspace," the cursor just goes to the beginning of the
blocked
text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.