zSplash

Thank you so much, Greg. Your help has been outstanding (and worked)!

st.
"Greg Maxey" wrote in message

zSplash,

Not tested, but try something like:

{ IF { NUM1 }""{ NUM1 }{ IF{ NUM2 }""{ NUM2 }{ NUM3}}}

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

zSplash wrote:
Thanks, Greg. Your earlier example was fine.

So, now I wonder, can I compare 3 fields from the data source and
based on the comparison, "get" one of the fields? (That is, consider
3 unique fields: num3, num2, num1. If num3 is empty, check num2; if
num2 is empty, "get" num1.) Do I use "IF THEN" or something else?

It's just a little sad trying to "get the syntax (i.e., the demanded
# of curly braces, etc.)" for the mail merge Word fields when things
are so straight-forward in VBA.

TIA

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
zSpash,

Sorry for the clipped reply earlier. My wife was assigning me a
chore :-)

You can nest the additional conditions as I showed you in my last
post (replace Test with your mergefield name) or in this case you
can simply gang them together
{IF{TEST}="1""SEATTLE"}{IF{TEST}="2""PORTLAND"} etc.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

zSplash wrote:
But, can I have multi-elses? I tried, and got error: Unknown op
code for conditional:

{IF{MERGEFIELD Office}=1 "Seattle" {IF{MERGEFIELD Office}=2
"Portland" {IF{MERGEFIELD Office}=3 "Fresno" {IF{MERGEFIELD
Office}=4 "Tucson"}

I see that there are more left wavy brackets than right ones, and
that I haven't concluded the equation (what if not 1, 2, 3, or 4),
but I don't understand. Could someone help or direct me to a good
rudimentary explanation? TIA

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message
You want the City in CAPs correct?

Try {Mergefield City \* UPPER }

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

zSplash wrote:
How do I code multi-else's using mail merge? Example: I want
whatever is City to be Ucase, but evidently I can't use VBA code
in mail merges, so I can figure out how to make Seattle
capitalized if City = Seattle, but how do I add other cities? I
have tried, but only get City instead of TUCSON:

{IF {MERGEFIELD City}= Seattle "SEATTLE" {IF{MERGEFIELD City} =
Tucson "TUCSON"} ""}

If City one of my "defined" cities, can I just merge, and let
the field stop and let the user manually type in (capitalized)
City?

I hope my question is clear. TIA.