Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Vishwas Upadhyaya Vishwas Upadhyaya is offline

Default Selecting a particular column

On May 12, 12:16*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
For that many lines, Alt+Drag to column select would be chancy. I'd replace
each space with a tab character, then convert the text to a table,
separating at tabs. Delete the second column, convert the first back to
text, and then select.

There are intermediate possibilities: you could skip the replace and just
create the table, directly, separating at spaces; you could select the first
column and paste into another document, then convert to text and copy/paste
into Notepad or whatever. If you're pasting into Excel, you can just select
the first column of the table and copy/paste directly (Excel understands
tables). But that's the general approach.

"Vishwas Upadhyaya" wrote in message

Hi all,

I have a word file in which the data have been entered in two columns
without the table being created. *A tab seperates the two columns in
every line of the data as shown below:

4.223391 244.140625
4.149764 488.281250
4.204984 488.281250
4.315426 244.140625
4.333833 244.140625

This data table actually has more than few thousands of lines. *I need
to select only the first column and copy it to another notepad file or
excel or another word file. Can anybody help me doing this? I dont
care if the second column gets deleted completly.

Regards,
Vishwas- Hide quoted text -

This works!! Although its kind of lengthy it works really well. I
used "convert the text to a table" with seperating character specified
as 'space' typed in "other" category. Thanks a million!!

Regards,
Vishwas