Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Application.Version

So are you wanting the version in which it was originally created or the
version in which it was most recently edited? I believe the document
property will be the latter, but I'm not sure how this document property is
accessed; it is certainly displayed in the File Open dialog if you choose
the Properties view. I have documents that show Microsoft Word 6.0, Word for
Windows 95, Word 8.0, Word 10.0, and Microsoft Word Document (always the
current version, in this case Word 11.0). No 9.0 because I skipped Word
2000. It may be that VBA is required to extract this information.

"AA2e72E" wrote in message
I think my question was specific enough? Why bother asking me why I want

do that?

If you must know, I support a mail merge functionality within an

application
that runs from a COM server, however, the documents are created from
individual PCs that run varios versions of Word from 97 onwards. The COM
Server has Word 2003.

In the event of errors, the first thing I need to know is what version of
Word created the mail merge document.

Using the DOC property is an unlikely answer as the document can be

created
in one version and amended in another etc.