Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Default Cross References of type "Heading" do not refresh correctly

Hi ?B?U3RldmVQ?=,

Heading cross-refs do not take into account new text added at the beginning
or end of the heading when refreshed. Presumably this is because the new text
is not inside the current bookmark and is just being ignored. Surely this is
a design flaw?

It is quite likely that is the cause, although in my experience (in recent
versions of Word, at least) this hasn't been a problem. (Quite the reverse,
actually. If I go to the beginning of a heading, press Enter, and type a new
paragraph, that paragraph shows up in the X-ref.)

I know of no way you can force Word to change where the bookmark stands, other
then resetting the bookmark manually.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org