You'll find you don't have a problem with the Web toolbar in Word 2003. But
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...WebToolbar.htm You can apply
table borders from the built-in borders flyout without changing views, but
if you want the fuller functionality of the Tables and Borders toolbars
(selecting border weight, etc.), then, yes, Word will change views.

"Lisen" wrote in message
I am very picky about how my toolbars are set up and how my screen

appears.
There are two things that drive me around the twist with Word and I will

be
indebted to anyone who can provide a solution to these.

1. Whenever I click on a heading in a table of contents to go to that
section within a Word document, the "Web" toolbar appears. I don't want

it!
How do I keep the toolbar from appearing?
2. I work with tables alot and thus have added many of the borders and
shading options to my toolbar. If I change the format of a border, for
example, select a thicker line width from the pulldown menu, Word insists
upon not only opening up the full borders and shading toolbar, but

switching
my view from normal to print layout. Is there any way to get Word to NOT
switch my view?

I am currently using Word 2000, but will be switching to 2003 shortly.

Thanks!