Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Default Is Office 2010 better than Office 2007

They might have replaced that "idiotic Office carbuncle" with something more sensible, but they forgot to put the more sensible thing in the sensible place, namely where that carbuncle was...

I can't find it back right now, but I have seen screenshots showing that the quality of the icons and text is actually becoming worse with each version of Office (starting from Office 2003). Apparently, everything depends on your screen settings.

I would update if you want to use equations in Powerpoint (as it now has the same possibilities as Word) or want to be able to manipulate images more easiliy from Word. The ribbon is hardly a reason to upgrade.

Yves
"Terry Farrell" wrote in message ...
I agree with Tony.

My take is that some (not all) of the terrible blunders of 2007 have been addressed. Not perfectly, but there's some better thought put into the interface in particular. For some examples, the Ribbon is now much more easily customised (though still far from as user-friendly as menus in 2003) and that idiotic Office carbuncle has been replaced by a sensible file button (blue background with File in white letters).

All the Ribbon icons are much cleaner and easier to read. Though one glaring error (which I will still argue with the developers until I win) is that those stupid miniature arrows (Dialog Launchers) are still used in the Group Title bars to select the dialogs. Their defence in not making the whole title bar into a clickable button is that users may accidentally press the title bar to launch the dialogs! I find their argument is crazy: users will only be clicking in the title area to launch the dialog because the title bar does nothing!

The old Print Preview Pane seems to have been replaced by a sub-standard offering, but in fact, it has merely been hidden from the users and the command can be added back to the QAT.

Oops! Just climbing down from my soap box.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP