TF

My guess would be YES. I certainly don't have the problem you are seeing
using a Radeon 5500SE. But knowing how often computers have made me look
stupid, I wouldn't guarantee it. The Dell guy is definitely waffling though.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Leonard F Kiesling" wrote in
message ...
: update: i tried scrolling pages in microsoft word, on my home dell, 4600
: (april 2004 purchase). no problem scrolling. i guess dell doesn't want to
: replace the video card, & most notable is the quote by dell rep:
: " I have checked the same in my system and in other systems but this is
: quite normal so need not call it a problem...."
:
: i will call dell from work & i'll advise this group of future status.
:
: possibly, from here, could someone answer my question i posed to dell?
:
: if the video card was changed to a different brand, would it stop the
: disappearing pictures problem?
:
: thank you, len kiesling
: "
: "Leonard F. Kiesling" wrote in
: message ...
: i wrote to dell.one rep agreed that i'd have to wait for intel to
provide
: an
: updated driver. then i queried if changing the video card would solve
the
: problem. here's what dell wrote back:
:
: "Dear Mr. Kiesling,
:
:
: Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.
:
: I understand that you want to know about the disappearing pictures
: while scrolling a microsoft word document" problem?
:
: I have checked the same in my system and in other systems but this is
: quite normal so need not call it a problem.
:
: It is a normal feature of this application."
:
: i disagree with dell. this does not happen on my old windows 98. & the
: lowering of hardware accellerator fixes it. will check my computer with
xp
: home & report back.
:
: thank you, len kiesling
:
:
:
: "Leonard F Kiesling" wrote in
: message ...
: thank you all. update: i wrote to dell, who directed me to a link, to,
: again, update the display driver. the update was 7-2004. the update i
: first
: completed had a higher file # which leads me to believe my first
update
: was
: a newer driver. either way, problem still not solved! other than the
: work
: around method. i wrote to dell advising same. waiting for reply.
:
: i secured the service tags of 3 machines from dell info on each hard
: drive.
: the 4th was from the label on the case.
: i too thought each machine would have a seperate service tag #. 4 were
: purchased at one time about 3 months ago, & the 5th was purchased
later.
: all
: same tags!
:
: should i just wait for intel to provide a new driver? should i switch
: back
: to first updated driver? if so, how?
: thanks to all, len kiesling (writing from home machine)
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Definitely.
:
: Terry Farrell
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: :I thought the service tag for each machine was unique.
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: newsgroup
: so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "Leonard F. Kiesling"
: wrote
: in
: : message ...
: : ann, i have checked 3 of the 5 systems. they have same service
tag.
: i
: : assume
: : the others will be the same. # 69HPT51. my display adapter is
same
: as
: : stated
: : below. the others show display adapter as: 82915G. possibly mine
is
: : different since i had updated the driver thru dell's site(?).
: :
: : thank you, len kiesling
: :
: :
: : wrote in message
: : oups.com...
: : Leonard,
: :
: : Intel has confirmed that it is a problem with their driver for
: the
: : 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family of display adapters.
They
: say
: : that they will address the problem in a new release of the
: driver.
: :
: : If you wouldn't mind emailing me the service tag for your PC, I
: can
: : demonstrate clearly to Dell that the problem is occurring on
many
: PCs.
: : Reducing the graphics acceleration a level below that which
: DirectX
: : uses is a temporary workaround.
: :
: : Thanks for your help!