Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Franz Weghaus Franz Weghaus is offline

Default Loosing access to data source in Word 2003

Hello!

The connection to the data source file is made manually but it is lost
when the merge file is opened again. The user does NOT have the
permission to write in the folder where the data source is to be found.
The folder is on a Windows 2003 Server.

Today I found out an interesting symptom when I use an Excel file as
data source. If I use a DDE connection the error occurs but if I use a
OLE connection it works. Here are the results of the macro you sent me:

*****DDE*****
Datacource.Name = X:\009 - Raeuml. Planung u. Entwickl., Geoinform\006 -
Grundstueckswertermittlung\001
Grundstueckswertermittlung\Gutachterausschuss\Vord rucke\Datenbank
Outlook.xls
Datasource.ConnectString = Gesamtes Tabellenblatt
Datasource.QueryString = SELECT * FROM X:\009 - Raeuml. Planung u.

*****OLE*****
Datacource.Name = X:\009 - Raeuml. Planung u. Entwickl., Geoinform\006 -
Grundstueckswertermittlung\001
Grundstueckswertermittlung\Gutachterausschuss\Vord rucke\Datenbank
Outlook.xls
Datasource.ConnectString =
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password="";User ID=Admin;Data
Source=X:\009 - Raeuml. Planung u. Entwickl., Geoinform\006 -
Grundstueckswertermittlung\001
Grundstueckswertermittlung\Gutachterausschuss\Vord rucke\Datenbank
Outlook.xls;Mode=Read;Extended Properties="HDR=YES;IMEX=1;";Jet
OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="";Jet OLEDBatabase
Password="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=35;Jet OLEDBatabase Locking
Mode=0;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk
Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Create
System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDBon't
Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica
Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False
Datasource.QueryString = SELECT * FROM `Tabelle1$`

So do you see a reason why the DDE connection is not available when I
open the merge file again? Thanks again!!!

Franz Weghaus