Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Hard return after numbering in heading styles

Here's how I handle this:

Use Heading 1 for the section title. Create another style (call it Section
Number, for example) for the section number. Give it auto numbering with a
Section label and choose "Nothing" as the character to follow the number.
Give it an outline level of Body Text so it won't show up in the TOC.

For headings at the same level as Heading 1 that you don't want numbered in
the TOC, create a new style identical to Heading 1 but with a different
name. Give it a different outline level.

In the TOC, format the TOC 1 style with "Section #" numbering. The TOC style
used for the other headings at the same level will be identical except for
the numbering.

For example, suppose you have three heading levels in the TOC. Use outline
level 4 for the unnumbered headings and format TOC 4 the same as TOC 1
except for the numbering.

For more on this, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm.

"rmarshall" wrote in message
How do I get a hard return after the section number and before the title
of
the heading? For example, I want heading 1 to look like this:

Section 1
Title of Section

Also, how do I get an unnumbered heading to appear in the table of
contents
with other numbered headings? That is, I want to apply the same style to a
heading that doesn't have numbering as I do to the remaining headings that
do
have numbering and have both appear in the table of contents. For example,
the TOC would look like this:

Introduction.....
Section 1 Title....

Thank you!