BudV

I start by opening my main document. Then, under the helper, it says "The
main document and data source are now available. Choose the Setup button to
lay out your main document. Since I laid out my main document under a
previous helper operation and saved it, I do nothing for step 1.

I do step 2 by clicking Get Data and opening my data source. At that point,
if I click edit, I can see a Data Form display of my data source, one record
at a time.

In step 3, this time the Merge button is dimmed (it hasn't been before). I
close, and click the Merge to Printer button, and it generates envelopes
without having done any text merge -- just field headings. I click the Start
Mail Merge button, and I get the same results.

In a nutshell, I seem to be skipping a step which actually merges the text
into the envelope format. For whatever it's worth, 1) I see no next record
field, and 2)I'm using envelopes with pre-printed return addresses, so I
have no data for a return address. (When I show the paragraph marks, there
are two marks in the return address area.)

"Cindy Meister" wrote:

What are you clicking in "Step 3"?

It sounds like you're choosing to edit/view the main merge document, which
is fine. And if you click ABC in the toolbar, you should preview the data
in place of the merge fields?

Then look further to the right in the toolbar. You should find buttons there
to merge to the printer, and to merge to a new document. You have to use
these (or the Mail Merge... dialog box) to actually EXECUTE the merge.

-- Cindy

"BudV" wrote:

I have a simple source file created under Word 2000 as a four-column table.
It has the appropriate headings in row 1, and five rows of address test data.
I have a main document formatted for envelope addressing. I've used the
mail merge helper. It appears that I've done everything right, but Step 3
doesn't merge the data into the main document. It just prints the headings
(in double angle brackets) where the data is supposed to be. Can you give me
any clues as to what I should do next to resolve this?