Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Date Automatically Updating

You are inserting the date as a DATE field, which is the result of using the
Insert | Date and Time dialog with the "Update automatically" box checked
(its current setting is irrelevant; the setting when you inserted the date
is important) or with the Insert Date button on the Header and Footer
toolbar or with the Alt+Shift+D shortcut. What you want instead is a
CREATEDATE field.

For existing documents, press Alt+F9 to display the field code and change
DATE to CREATEDATE. Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update. For new
documents, either type the date as text or insert a CREATEDATE field in the
template.

For more on date fields, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/DateFields.htm

"Denise" wrote in message
news
How do I turn this feature off? I have documents that are changed

frequently
but don't need the date changed. I can't remember where this is to turn it
off.
--
Thanks, Denise