Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Stopping word split lines over pages

Well, assuming you're working with paper (rather than an online script),
each page has a finite length. So, the page is going to have to break
somewhere. To a certain extent, you might be able to handle some of it using
the Keep with Next paragraph setting.

However... if I were doing this, I probably use a table (with borders turned
off), where the character's name and line appear within the same row, and
with "Allow row to break across pages" turned OFF. This would guarantee that
any given character's line would appear on the same page as the character's
name. Of course, if you're like Shakespeare and have some long soliloquies,
it might not be possible all the time.

To convert an existing 300+ page script--after making a backup copy--I would
use an otherwise-unused character as the row separator (using find/replace
to insert before each character's name), then convert the text to a
one-column table with one row for each character's sequential set of lines.

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"sam.o" wrote in message

Hi All,

I wonder whether you knowledgeable folk can help me... I'm really stuck
with this one and it's driving me slightly crazy.

I'm re-typing/ editing a theatre script in word. It's formatted so that
the Character's name who is speaking is on one line and then directly
below is there dialogue. There is then 2 line breaks before the next
section of dialogue... E.g:

SAM
Hello There how are you?

JOHN
I'm fine thanks... How was your day?

SAM
Good... (etc. etc.)

What I want to stop work from doing is splitting the Character's name
and the line or a series of lines over a page...

At the moment I'm getting a lot of this:

SAM
Hi There how are you?

JOHN
--NEW PAGE---
I'm fine thanks... How was your day?

And also some of this:

SAM
Hello there - line one blah blah
--NEW PAGE--
line continues

JOHN
etc. etc.

---

Does any one know of any way to get Word to stop doing this? The
document is over 300 pages long and it's taking me a very long time to
go through and manually sort out these page breaks.

Thank You,

Sam

--
sam.o