Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Stopping word split lines over pages

Well, the first thing I would do is convert every instance of two line
breaks to a paragraph break. That will get each character's name and lines
into a single paragraph, which can be formatted as "Keep lines together" and
with 12 points Spacing After. Actually, if I were doing this from scratch,
I'd define one style (formatted as "Keep with next") for the character's
name and one for the lines.

To replace the line breaks with a paragraph break, search for ^l^l and
replace with ^p.

http://word.mvps.org

"sam.o" wrote in message

Hi All,

I wonder whether you knowledgeable folk can help me... I'm really stuck
with this one and it's driving me slightly crazy.

I'm re-typing/ editing a theatre script in word. It's formatted so that
the Character's name who is speaking is on one line and then directly
below is there dialogue. There is then 2 line breaks before the next
section of dialogue... E.g:

SAM
Hello There how are you?

JOHN
I'm fine thanks... How was your day?

SAM
Good... (etc. etc.)

What I want to stop work from doing is splitting the Character's name
and the line or a series of lines over a page...

At the moment I'm getting a lot of this:

SAM
Hi There how are you?

JOHN
--NEW PAGE---
I'm fine thanks... How was your day?

And also some of this:

SAM
Hello there - line one blah blah
--NEW PAGE--
line continues

JOHN
etc. etc.

---

Does any one know of any way to get Word to stop doing this? The
document is over 300 pages long and it's taking me a very long time to
go through and manually sort out these page breaks.

Thank You,

Sam

--
sam.o