It's a bit finicking but can be done.

1. You must insert the cross-reference first. This creates the bookmark
around the figure label.

2. Then go to the figure caption and select just the number.

3. Open the Insert | Bookmark dialog. Check the box for "Hidden bookmarks"
and select the radio button for "Location."

4. The bookmark that is highlighted is the bookmark for your figure caption.
Clicking add will reapply the bookmark to just the selected text (the figure
number).

"Vesa Jääskeläinen" Vesa J wrote in
message ...
Hi,

I want to make cross-reference to figure numers only, how can I do this?

I do not want to have "Figure" text to appear when I make a

cross-reference.

In example:

"You can see from figure 1 something...."

img
Figure 1 Something...

This is more usefull in non english languages where you must use different
way of writing. Like in finnish:

"Näet kuvassa 1 jotakin..."
img
Kuva 1 Something

Please note the difference between 'Kuva' and 'kuvassa'. It is a bit
frustrating to write manually those references as there is always that one
wrongly written.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen