Robert M. Franz

Hello Harald

Harald wrote:
We are creating a manual containing two different languages. We want it to be in two columns and feel the best way to do that is to use a table. The right column will be a Norwegian version of the English text in the left column.

Make sure that you are not using one huge table in your document. I'd
probably restart the table before every chapter at least (Word gets
rather slow with huge tables spanning more than a handful of pages).

Our problem arises when we want to use the build in styles (Heading 1..4) for automatic heading numbering. The result we get looks like:

[..]
We want to use Word styles (heading 1 .... 4) for headings and numbering the chapters. But if we use "Heading 1" for both languages, the numbering will be mixed ("As in Example 1.)

Question: How can we define two sets of "Heading styles" and the numbering for each style sets are independent of each other?

If you can work with Doug's scheme for the numbering, give that a go.

OTOH, you could really double your styleset if you want a clean file,
since then you don't have to apply direct formatting for the language.
Maybe someone in here can point you to the way how to best do that via VBA.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS