Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Trying to protect a document

You don't say what version of Word you're using. If it's Word 2002 or 2003
and you get a Protect Document task pane when you choose Tools | Protect
Document, then you have to check the box for "Editing restrictions" and
select "Filling in forms." When you click "Yes, start enforcing protection,"
you get a dialog in which you can add a password if desired. Note, however,
that forms protection is easily defeated by inserting the protected form in
a new document.

If you're using an older version of Word, you should be getting some sort of
dialog (which will allow you to set a password) when you click Tools |
Protect Document.

"vblaradetrich" wrote in message
I am trying to protect a document so that users can edit certain fields

but
not edit the form itself. I have drop down options, checkboxes & field

text
options in my document.
When I protect the document by selecting "Tools" & "Protect Document" the
drop downs, checkboxes & field text options do not work. If I click the

lock
on the "Form" toolbox I can use these fields however it is possible to
unprotect the document by simply clicking on the toolbar at the top under
"Tools" & then select "Unprotect Document" & the document is then
unprotected. How can I protect the form so that these fields are

available?