Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Exclude Dictionary not working?

The numbers for all the English versions are in my article, in which there
is also a link to another article that lists them all (for all languages).

http://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The US English exclusion dictionary is ExcludeDictionaryEN0409.lex. The UK
English exclusion dictionary is ExcludeDictionaryEN0809. The numbers are
the HEX versions of the decimal numbers shown in Word 2007 help under
'Locale identification numbers for language-specific files'. Thus English
US - 1033 - in Hex is 409 (0409). English UK - 2057 - in Hex is 809
(0809). The simplest way to transcribe the numbers is to use the
scientific calculator view of the Windows calculator. Click the 'Dec'
radio button, enter the number eg 1049 (Russian) and then click the 'Hex'
radio button and you get 419. The exclusion dictionary for Russian would
therefore be ExcludeDictionaryEN0419.lex
But you still have to restart Word for it to read the change

Greg Maxey wrote:
Graham may be right (probably is). I was tinkering with this earlier.
Didn't work for me either. However, I had two English languages
enabled (U.K. and U.S.). I only edited the U.S. exclusion dictionary
and it didn't work. After I disabled the U.K. language it worked. I
don't remember if I restarted Word in this process or not.

Graham Mayor wrote:
You also need to restart Word.

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I need to tell Word 2007 (running under Vista) to "flag" some words.
For example, I want the speller to flag "manger" as an incorrect
spelling (I sometimes type that, when I actually meant manager)

I've tried my best to follow the Word 2007 "help" instructions . . .
. but the Exclude Dictionary does not seem to be paying attention .
. . it still accepts "manger" as an accepted word (does not flag
it). Here's what I've done . . .

TO CREATE AN "EXCLUDE" DICTIONARY:
1. C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof
2. Click on file: ExcludeDictionaryEN0409
3. Open with MS-Word
4. Type the word to ad in LOWER case only, followed by hard return
5. Save

What have I done wrong?

Thanks so much