Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

Default How To Create Chapters with Page Numbering

I read that article before and it is a little confusing. Some of the steps
tell you to do things, but not how. I need basic instructions, I'm afraid.
The thing I ended up doing was automatic Chapter headings centered on the
first page of each chapter and then just regular numbering which starts over
with each new chapters. I never could get the chapter page numbers to change
over.

Suzanne

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The chapter numbering comes from the paragraph number of an autonumbered
heading. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm. You
don't need a section break to change the chapter number, but you do need one
to restart page numbering.

"Suzanne" wrote in message
I have now read your article and am as confused as ever. I can only find

the
steps involving formatting page numbers. They are set as you suggested.
Here is the problem I am having:

I type the outline, say its 3 pages. I then have 1-1, 1-2, & 1-3. When I
want to go to the next chapter. Do I page break or section break? In

either
case, the numbering starts back at one, but with the same chapter number.
Again, I have 1-1, 1-2, 1-3. However, I want it to move from chapter 1 to

2
(ie: 2-1, 2-2, etc.) How do I set it up to automatically number both

chapter
& page when I do a page/section break?

Suzanne

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I have just looked at the article and at the relevant parts of 2007 and
believe that the procedure is still the same.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
This article, however, has not (AFAIK) been updated for Word 2007, so

you
may have to hunt around a bit to find the corresponding features in

that
version.

newsgroup
so

See the article "I want to include the chapter number with the page
number
in the Header - how can I do this?" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Number...pterNumber.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne" wrote in message
I am typing a series of outlines of a book. There is one outline

for
each
book chapter. I would like to have Chapter numbers in the header

of
each
chapter. IE: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and so on. I would also like

have
page numbering formatted to indicate the page number & the chapter.
IE:
1-1, 1-2, etc. I am using Office 2007 beta and cannot for the life

of
me
figure out how to do it. Is there anyone willing to write me a

step by
step?
Eternally grateful in advance...