Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Sharing documents with custom styles with other firms?

"Peter A" wrote in message
om...
In article 7c67f886-0646-4d85-a009-81eb3aef1558
@s33g2000pri.googlegroups.com, says...
If I email a document that is based on custom styles to an external
firm what will they see? will the styles remain intact?

Also, if another firm sends a document to us and they have either the
built in styles or their own custom styles what will happen if I have
restricted the built-in styles to be hidden?

Christine

Styles in a document will remain unchanged as long as the document was
not created based on the Normal.dot template. THis is true even if the
recipient has a template of the same name that you used to create the
document. If the document is based on Normal.dot, you may see changes if
either you or the recipient has modified the styles in Normal.dot (which
is why you should never do so).

Assuming that the "Automatically update document styles" option in the
Templates and Add-Ins dialog box is cleared, not even the Normal template
will affect the document styles. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers