Posted to microsoft.public.office.setup,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Default How to setup new deafult doc format for Word 2003 ?

For some reason I am not seeing the original post. This response is to that
post.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm and
http://addbalance.com/word/defaultfont.htm.

You want a document template. This is a .dot file. If this will have any
text in it, you do not want it to be the normal.dot file. Do not save a
template you have created as normal.dot. Ever.

This file should not go in the Word startup folder. It should go in the User
or Workgroup Templates folder. The folder you are talking about can be
designated as being either of those folders if you want, but you should
understand that Word will be looking for templates there. It you set your
folder as the User Templates folder, Word will create a normal.dot there.
For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

Before you do this, I would recommend reading the article just referenced
and http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ion/index.html.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Thomas McGregor" wrote:

OK, assume I have a new blank document with my favorite left, right, top
and lower margin and my favorite
font. I saved this document into a mydefault.doc file.

How do I setup this document format as my default document format?
In other words: whenever I open Word2003 in the future I want to see this
document format
without any further adjustments / selection.

Where do I setup this in the options ?

Do I have to convert this doc file into a dot file?

Moreover I want to put this doc resp dot file into my special private
folder "D:\priv\word\"
(not in a WORD setup start folder) is this possible ?

Thomas