Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Default MACROS

Yes, the list you see under Tools Templates and Add-ins are the .dot files
in the Startup folder.

Just to confuse you, there are TWO startup folders. The first is the one
listed under Tools Options File Locations, normally C:\Documents and
Settings\[login name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP.

The second depends on where you installed Office, normally C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICExx\STARTUP

The difference is that add-ins in the latter location are available to all
users; those in the former only to you.

"Guydickinson" wrote in message
Thanks a lot for all that. When going to Tools / Templates and Addins -
is
that the same as the Office Startup folder? I did all that was said but
still get this box about enable or disable macros when I open Word -
perhaps
I'm stuck with it?!! Very grateful.

"Guydickinson" wrote:

I'm afraid it looks like I am going to be a lost cause here!! Not really
quite so good at computers! (medical Dr - not in this!!) You've been v
kind
but until I looked VBA up on Google I didn't even know what it was!!
Visual
Basic for Applications it seems but how you get there? Alt/F11 does
nothing
I'm afraid. It looks like that path you described is correct - so when I
got
that up in the options box via this normal.dot in word and pressed
modify, I
got a box with Office 97 templates in it - as per that link you gave me.
If
I search for normal.dot as you describe in control panel there is no
result.
Really sorry to be a total nerd!

"AmandaH" wrote:

you need to locate the Normal.dot file the path should be something
like this

C:\Documents and Settings\"Name of you computer"\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates

Where "Name of you computer" should be something like your name.

Or you could just seach for Normal.dot in my computer, that is up to
you.

If when you get Normal.dot open you notice that there is no text in the
file, then you might need to go into VBA to delete macros. to do this
you need to open the VB editor AltF11. Then you will see Normal.dot to
the left of your screen. You will need to delete all moduals as well as
any text that appreas in "This Document" field. Let me know if you need
any more help.

~Amanda~