Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Default Ending page numbering

{ SectionPages } is a field. If you don't want to see it, don't insert the
field. If you need the value for arithmetic elsewhere, format it as hidden.
Help will explain the \Arabic and \*MERGEFORMAT switches. You will save
yourself an amount of anguish if you read up on what fields are and why to
use them (given that you are using them already).

Also, read again the note on what 'different first page' does.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
Thanks. I tried inserting the field SectionPages and ended up with
{SECTIONPAGES \ Arabic \*MERGEFORMAT }. Now the first page of each of the
added section starts with 1. Is there a way to get rid of this, at least
for the first page? I have checked different from first page wut it seems
to have no effect.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
You're confusing several issues.

1. The 'Different first page' and 'Different odd and even' options on
p }age setup have nothing to do with page numbering. They control whether
you have different headers and footers on the first/odd/even pages. These
settings can be different for each section of the document.

2. By default, each section of a document uses the same headers and
footers as the previous section; but it need not. The 'Same as previous'
button the Headers and Footers toolbar controls this.

3. You can restart the page numbering for any section by going to Insert
Page Numbers Format and setting the 'Start at' value.

4. Pages are always counted (as you observe). The page number is
*displayed* by inserting a { PAGE } field. If you click OK on the Insert
Page numbers dialog, Word automatically inserts a { PAGE } field in the

footer: but you can do this manually also, and put the page number
anywhere.

If you need to skip pages in your numbering, you can do arithmetic with
the page value, as for any other kind of calculation field, eg

{ = { PAGE } * 2 - 1 }

You can also use a { SECTIONPAGES } field to get the number of pages in
the current section.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
This is embarassing. How do I end page numbering in a section of my
lengthy document without also wiping out the page numbers I actually
want to keep in the first section? The object is to have 20-30-40
numbered pages in a single section followed by 3 or 4 separate pages
with each preceded by a section break.

The gory details: I actually have 4 sections. Sections 2, 3 and 4 are
just 1 page each and are actually preexisting documents I inserted.
Page numbering seems to end in sections 2 and 3, but resumes in section
4--where the page numbering reflects the unnumbered pages in the
preceding sections, which are obviously being counted if not displayed.
When I checked Page Setup for sections 2 and 3 I found that it was set
fo Different First Page, whereas section 4 was not. I changed this
setting and now section 4 does not show any page number. But obviously,
the page numbering is still there, just not displayed for the first page
of the section. If the sections were longer than a single page I would
be stuck.