Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default Lock table header to prevent modification

"Bjorn" wrote:

I need to create a document that has multiple tables, and each table will
have a header that never changes and then subsequent rows below the header in
which I can enter text. For example, I would like to create a table that has
a header of "Client contacts" as the first row of the table that can't be
clicked into or modified (because it is locked) and then have one or more
rows below the header where I can enter the actual client contact information.

I don't know if this is possible but it would make the document template
much easier to use because you wouldn't have to worry about clicking into the
header and entering something by mistake.

Here is something I have done before for more or less the same reasons you
write about. If you can have all new tables in the document start on a new
page, then you can use New Page section breaks between each table. Then,
making sure you do not link each header to the the header in the previous
section, you can position the table header (the first (or first few) row) in
the header. With careful measurements and a few print out test, you can
position the table header exactly. This way, users cannot click in the table
header as it will be in the page header.